Thursday, February 10, 2011

EACH DAY A SEPARATE LIFE

It was that time again, and I was driving to the airport starting our 16th annual "Dudes Only" snowboard trip. Unfortunately, I was in a frame of mind far from the joy that awaits on the mountain. I'm sure you know the deal: lost hours at work, bills piling up, already missing the family. Yep, boo'hoo.

Interestingly, once I was on the airplane, I began to remember why we've done this for so many years. "Life is what happens while we are planning other things." The metaphoric "cup" that represents our lives can "runneth over", often without warning. What often follows is a red-lining of our mind/body limits that can negatively change our perception of the world around us. If it's true that "you can't put anything into a full glass", then it was certainly my time to purge. Only at this point of emptying are we able to once again enjoy life's blessings: having great club members, saving for the future, that Sunday morning run, and a sweet wife's hug.

Application: Next time you strap on those Pro Keds (ol'skool, baby!) to get your workout fix, take a step back and check yourself. How? Take a few "yoga breaths" (deep, diaphramic breaths that infiltrate your lungs with oxygen and helps clear your mind). Once you've found your "center" (not necessarily a place, but in this sense, a quiet mind and relaxed body)  begin focusing on what's exciting about your workout. Not yesterday's, not tomorrow's, but the workout you're about to put yourself through. Your goal should be to fully engage in each rep, each breath, each moment, both work and recovery. 

"Rejoice in the things that are present; all else is beyond thee."  -Montaigne

Repeat this process of 'being in the moment" each and every workout, and you'll find it carry over to other avenues of your life. I know what you're thinking and no, I didn't just see this on Dr. Phil. Our workouts provide a wonderful starting point to rid our lives of stress, mental clutter, and chaos. Best of all, it's a process of achieving positive (love that word!) mindfulness that improves with daily practice, just like exercise.

Speaking of that sweet wife, she got me moved to First Class on my connecting flight. Let me rub it in a little: the big, squishy leather seat, the hot-towel, the sorbet, and oh yes, those warm cookies from the oven. Yes, I was finally back to living in the moment. 
Our flight attendant asked me, "Would you like a glass of wine?". 
"No thanks", I replied, "Empty's fine with me."

Less is more,


Joey Motsay, CSCS
Owner and operator
Positive Stress Workout
Positivestress.com

2 comments:

  1. Getting dressed for a run already dreading the wind and regretting the late night with too much drink. Just a quick email check.
    Thanks Joey.
    You are an inspiration.
    LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Repeat this process of 'being in the moment' each and every workout, and you'll find it carry over to other avenues of your life." I love that quote and it's so true man!

    ReplyDelete